• Jason Short

Mortgages! The SA302 and Tax Year Overview

Updated: Nov 11, 2021

If you are self-employed or have income outside of PAYE, Mortgage providers and brokers often base their mortgage offering on your SA302 calculations and your tax year overview. An SA302 is the technical term for your tax calculation for the year.

If your return has been filed through HMRC's online account by yourself or your accountant, an SA302 is easy to find, as long as you have access to your Government Gateway account.

Self-Employed Mortgage
Self-Employed Mortgage

Here are the steps you need to follow to find an SA302 yourself.

1. Click here > Gov.uk

2. Sign in using your Government Gateway credentials (or create an account)

3. Scroll down until you see 'Your Returns' - and click 'Get SA302 for 20XX.'

The limitation of this service is that the HMRC site only allows the last year SA302 to be printed. If you need 2 years, you will need to contact your Accountant, who should have them (providing they completed both the returns for you), or you can contact HMRC directly and ask them to send them in the post to you. HMRC's phone number is 0300 200 3310, and they are open from 8 am to 6 pm on weekdays. Be prepared to wait if you are phoning them in January.

If you have used an Accountant like Short and Sons, they may have used 3rd party software to file your accounts. If this is the case, the information will not show up on the Government Gateway account, so you will need to call your Accountant. If they filed the return for you they should be able to provide this for you without charge.

To print your Tax Year Overview is just as easy.

  1. Log into your Government Gateway (or create one) using the link above.

  2. Scroll down to 'View Self Assessment return for tax year 20XX to 20XX' and click.

  3. This next screen allows you to choose the year in which you wish to display your Tax Year Overview. Choose the year or years you need and then click 'Print Tax Year Overview'. With this feature, you can print for any year you have filed.

So to recap - by heading to your Government Gateway, you can only print the previous years SA302. With the 'Tax Year Overview' you can print any year you wish.

To get the prior year SA302 for a mortgage broker, if they need the previous two years, for example, you should contact your accountant first, and if they can't help, call HMRC on 0300 200 3310.

I hope this helps and good luck if you are going for a property.

If you wish to join Short and Sons, or you have any questions, please email us or call 01784 390021 / 07481 479933 to find out more!

149 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All